Monday 28 October 2013

IVF protocol officially starts today!

This is an exciting day. A week and a half ago, we had our marathon IVF orientation session. And it was a marathon. Two hours of instruction with the nurse, including all the injections and the protocol plan, 10 minutes with a financial officer, and two more hours with a psychologist. My brain hurt from all the information I absorbed. When we went home I had a headache and was exhausted and honestly was confused about what day it was. I wanted nothing more than for it to be Friday afternoon and to have a weekend to rest, but no, it was Thursday and I would have to be up early for work the next day. And the following Monday was the surgery. We are working on a tight schedule with a narrow window of opportunity.

I'm so glad they squeezed us in before my other half had a tumour the size of a grape removed from his brain (he's doing great, btw). Now with the surgery down, the protocol begins tonight with 18 days of birth control pills. Seems so counter-intuitive, but it's to get my hormones and ovaries to the starting gate. On that 18th day, I go in for an ultrasound bright and early. If that looks good, I stop the pills, wait for a bleed, and then on the third day go for another ultrasound and blood work. And if that looks good, I start injections that night! Puregon 225 and Menopur 75, every day, and then about 5-6 days in the regular monitoring begins. Finally, a use for that muffin top! Estimated retrieval is the end of November, which could not be more perfect with my schedule to take some time off and rest (I've been recording Grey's Anatomy to save just for that). So now I've got my fingers crossed for a positive pregnancy test for Christmas, and an estimated due date in late August.

So excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment